Saturday, April 08, 2006

P3270057


P3270057, originally uploaded by wordnerd411.

This is my favorite creation of mine!

I made it at a John Willis workshop in Kingston.

The black and white fabric is running horses. It is fun to see people suddenly notice them.

The shape which doesn't have a name is a lifelong favorite shape that resonates back to my childhood and is also found on Islamic tiles and Moroccan zellig mosaics.

When John was showing slides of his work before we started the workshop, he several times showed rectangular quilts and said "I shouldn't have cut off the corners."

That encouraged me to let it be the shape it wanted to be, even though I had to make a small sample to make sure I could work with bias binding and then the bias binding instructions I followed led to a lifetime supply of pink and lilac binding!

Freddy Moran showed a way to make realistic quantities of bias binding in a workshop I took with her in January.

No comments: