Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Is Two a Series?

This is a 12" block I made for a swap in Arizona using indigo and hand-dyed fabric and following the theme of the first zigurat I made, which is the lower photo. This was made in a Cynthia Corbin workshop and the square blocks were cut with a rotary cutter but without a ruler. The dotted background and the brown dotted fabric used on the top block were originally gray but I hand-dyed those and the dots stayed white.


The Journal quilt class lesson this week includes several journal quilters talking about making things in series, which is something I find hard to do, maybe because I don't have enough time/space to devote to quilting. I see a progression in my work but I tend to have pendulum swings or spiral (many pendulum swings really ARE a spiral motion, by the way!) and come back to something I've tried earlier but with some other creation in between.

I did sketch a zigzag-arat yesterday, just because the play on words is so irresistible!

FACTOID: The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world, was a zigurat.

Hour last week: 33

1 comment:

Yvonne said...

Can there ever be enough space and time for quilting? :) It sounds like you are doing very well with all the hours you're putting in. About our sequence of learning - I think whatever we do is the exact right thing - I find that I'll strangely be drawn off in a different direction and then, something I learn in doing that ends up being the exact step I needed to carry me to where I might have been expecting to go. So, for instance, as far as series, I have 2 on the go - but I'm not very far into either of them and I'm doing other quilts and sewing. However, I think the learning I'm doing is laying the ground for future efforts. And - I also hold the door open that what I'm working on may end up being part of one of the series - I just don't realize it yet!