Tuesday, January 06, 2009

More on baraka


which is luck or blessings, things that happen at opportune times.

I found Kay Greenlees' book Creating Sketchbooks for Embroiderers and Textile Artists left in our apartment laundry room. What are the odds! Here's a link to the page:


http://www.anovabooks.com/products/product.asp?catid=8&subcatid=114&id=453#

Batsford Books have been going since 1843 and I remember them from my childhood. A lot of the textile books are tied into the City and Guilds courses, and this book is written somewhat from that perspective.

Other recent blessings:
  • a perfectly good set of everyday dishes, saving not just money but lugging them home from the store on the bus
  • a t-shirt with a slogan on that can be collaged into an art quilt
  • dining room chairs that would otherwise have gone to the landfill
  • store credit for the Beacon thrift store @ Quadra and Hillside - this gives me permission to pop in from time to time and indulge in collecting textiles. I found a sheer printed scarf (see the photo!) that will make a great layer in a quilt and a home-made brocade skirt which I've deconstructed for a wall hanging.

Progress with work/creation

My total hours for last week was 27 hours and 10 minutes.

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

This is a real accomplishment, Ruth! Way to go.

Ruth said...

Thanks, Yvonne. I should point out this also includes my editing/writing work, so it's not ALL fun and games!